Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Record-Breaking Verdict Returned in Medical Device Malfunction Case

Few people can say that they’ve had their hearts fried on an operating table – and lived to tell the tale. But that’s exactly what happened to 54-year-old Paramjit Singh when a monitor malfunctioned mid-surgery. The haywire device heated a catheter inserted into the patient’s heart to temperatures exceeding 500 degrees, literally cooking the tissue on contact. Amazingly, Singh was kept alive through artificial circulation equipment, finally receiving a heart transplant 11 weeks after the botched operation.

Evidence obtained in the case indicated that the monitor’s manufacturer was aware of the device’s design flaw and the risk of malfunction. The jury laid the blame squarely on the manufacturer,
ordering the company to pay Singh a staggering $40.1 million.

Have you or a loved one fallen victim to a defective medical device? If so, you need the advice of a team of highly-qualified personal injury lawyers.
Contact the attorneys at The Heller Law Firm for a free consultation, or call us direct at 866-461-5791. You will hear from us either the same day or within 24 hours.